How to make the best use of your therapy sessions.
For those of you who want to make the most effective use of your therapy sesssions, here are a few suggestions that have been helpful for some clients.
1. Arrive early to settle into a calm, thoughtful mood.
2. Consider using a small spiral bound notebook to:
- write an aganda for your session.
- record some thoughts, feelings, or questions.
- track events of the week.
- record the suggestions made in sessions.
3. Consider writing your thoughts to the following questions:
"What do I want to have happen as a result of therapy?"
"How might my life be different after therapy?"
4. Ask questions of your therapist.
5. Between sessions, review what was discussed and recommended in your last meeting.
6. Try out some of the suggestions made by your therapst.
By taking a more active approach, and viewing it as a joint venture, your therapy can become not only a problem solving session, but a transformative experience leading you to a better quality of life.